For better or worse, I have nothing new to report in the world of Pam. For all of you that have reached out here and on Facebook with your support, thank you. I can't tell you how much it means to me. Most of what I am experiencing right now feels very lonely, and I easily forget how many caring people are out there, rooting for me and ready to help if I'd only ask for it. Right now the most I can do it dip a toe in the water. As soon as that changes and I get braver or stronger, you'll be the first to know.
In the meantime, here is a belated chain post. I was tagged in this a few times in the last month or so but never got around to do anything about it. The gist was to post 11 random things about yourself, answer 11 questions from the tagger's post, then create 11 new questions and tag more people. Well, we all know I'm a lazy one, so there will be no new questions and new tagging. Just enjoy the random facts about me and feel free to chime in about yourself in the comments.
11 Random Things About Me:
1. I just took my first CrossFit class on Saturday at CrossFit Adapation in Arlington. It is exactly as scary as you think.
2. I'm looking into hiring a life coach. No, Seriously. At this point, what do I have to lose?
3. I just joined Pinterest and I don't know why. Someone tell me the point.
4. Less then 30 days until the half marathon relay and my longest run in a month was 3 miles. Hmm.
5. I really want a bib for the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler. PLEASE!
6. I am not giving up anything for Lent this year. In fact, I wish the reverse was allowed and you needed to take on something for the duration.
7. Aside from my childhood, this is the longest I've ever lived in one place. VA, has it really been that long?
8. Even at age 31, my mom is usually my first call when something goes wrong.
9. I need structure and routine. Change, no matter how positive, is always disruptive for me.
10. I find it easy to make friends, but letting people in and keeping them close is another story.
11. Fear is my biggest weakness. I miss out on so much because of it.
1. What type of shoe do you prefer to run in and why?
I prefer to run in Saucony, and right now my shoe of choice is the Kinvara 2. I love Saucony's wide toe box and the cushioning, even in the more minimal shoe.
2. Salty or Sweet? Favorite snack?
As far as snacks go, I generally go for the salty. But there are times when I need a little of both for balance. Yesterday that meant a square of dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt.
3. Why do you run?
Why do I run? Wow. I ask myself that question a lot these days. Or, why did I used to run? I like the friendships that you make with every passing mile. I like pushing past "I can't." Sometimes breaking through a mental wall on a run gives me hope that I can break through walls in other areas of my life.
4. If you could only take 3 items with you on an island what would it be and why?
Hmmm......I think I'd need my journal, the cats (I'm counting them as 1), and my best girl.
5. Favorite website(s)?
I wouldn't call them my favorite websites, but the ones I check the most are Facebook, Gmail, and my Blogger Dashboard. Boring, I know.
6. Do you having a running mantra and if so what is it?
I have a few mantras, it depends on what I'm experiencing or what point of the run I've reached. One that I use often near the end or when the miles just feel hard is "find your edge."
7. Are your currently reading anything (other than this) and if so what?
I'm in the middle of several books right now, but I wouldn't say that any of them have me hooked. I'm more likely to finish reading the most recent issue of Competitor magazine that I got from my new chiropractor over the weekend.
8. Do you run with music, if so whats your favorite tune to run to?
I don't run with music, even on the treadmill. I have headphone issues at the gym and when I'm outside it is a personal safety issue. I do make a running playlist that I'll listen to before a race to get pumped up but that is constantly changing as new songs come out and old ones lose their meaning.
9. What inspires you?
I think I walk a fine line between the things that inspire me and the things that hold me back. Depending on my mood, fellow bloggers successes can get me super pumped to take my training to the next level or cause me to feel like I should just give up. It is all in my head. For sure, one thing that inspires me 100% of the time is watching the Ironman Kona coverage on television.
10. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation where would you go?
I think I'd have to play it fairly safe and say that I want to go to Italy. There are so many places in the world that I'd love to see and explore but right now living my own version of "Eat" from Eat Pray Love sounds perfect.
11. Do you have a favorite clothing item that you like to run in?
My favorite item of clothing to run in are a pair of Nike Dri-Fit shorts that my ex bought for me on Ebay. Hands down the best pair of shorts I've ever run in and for the life of me I can't find additional pairs anywhere.