Tuesday, February 28, 2012

She runs!

I could also have titled this post " My body tells me no" but then the song gets stuck in my head. I slipped out of my funk for about an hour on Sunday morning and went for a run with my marathon coach, Tuan. If I hadn't scheduled the run days earlier, there is no way I would have actually gone. Right now accountability is everything and being held accountable only to myself is not working.

We decided to meet up at our usual spot at the Marina and head out. I assumed we'd keep it simple since I hadn't run more than 4 miles in one shot all year. Nope, not a chance. Apparently the Georgetown loop was on the docket for the run, a familiar 6.2 miles from training days. That distance just sounded so...long. I know that I wouldn't have been able to do it alone, the quitter in me is quite strong these days.

I'd had my second session of ART the day before and was hoping that my leg nice and loose for the experience.  Not so much. I'm just plain out of shape. We took the run very slow and steady, I certainly didn't bother using my watch. My right hamstring and hip began bothering me after the first mile and was fairly constant for the rest of the run. Two days later, I am still sore. On the upside, the weather was beautiful and the conversation kept my mind off of how difficult it felt.

Technically, training for my next 1/2 started 10 days ago. Oops. I need to get on that. This week is a full one but if I manage my time properly (HA) I could get a trip or two to the gym in there. I'm also running with the family on Saturday morning and hoping that takes care of the mileage on my 1/2 schedule.  In other running news, the 1/2 relay is less than a month away and I'm getting pretty nervous. My original goal is no longer achievable because of my lack of training, so I need to come up with a new one. I don't know yet which leg of the relay I am running; I should probably get that squared away.

I was also able to finally score a bib for Cherry Blossom and will be running that with my sister and brother-in-law.  I'm hoping to improve on last year's time but we'll see. I think I'll have a better idea of where my fitness is once this relay is over. If anyone would like to throw out some reasonable goals for me work towards in the next month or so, I'd love to hear them. Again, the accountability factor. I'd feel like a total ass if I had to report on here that I let you all down.

Until next time, run safe and train smart. Much love!

3 comments:

  1. I just picked up a CB bib and am pretty excited about it....maybe we can run together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited you got a Cherry Blossom bib! I'm scheduled to run 5 miles on Saturday, still debating about staying in the development or going to the C&O Canal. Either way, probably going to get wet.

    As for goals, just getting out there and running 2 or 3 times a week would be a great place to start. For the relay, my goal is to finish and finish strong, time be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running CB too! Hopefully I will see you there.

    What half are you doing? I'd like to do a late spring one if I can get my own injury issues all sorted out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete