Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Two Things Tuesday

1. I thought the odds of me making it to the track this morning were pretty darn good, actually. I went to bed at a decent hour and I felt comfortable with the workout that was planned. It was all fine and good until my alarm went off this morning and self-doubt came storming in. "You'll be running alone. Getting lapped. As usual." "Your hamstring is still sore from Saturday, you'll probably end up stomping off the track after the first interval." And so on. I am not a reasonable person capable of rational thought at 5:30 in the morning, so self-doubt won out again and I just laid in bed beating myself up until it was time to get up for work. I'm not going to get any better if I don't try, but I'm too scared to try, so I stay the same. Do what you always do and get what you always got.

2. Losing weight while training is a tough thing to do. Losing weight in general is hard enough. But I think as athletes we have a more difficult time doing so. We are constantly walking a fine line between fueling up enough to perform and cutting back enough to lose. One wrong meal decision can tank an entire workout. Eating properly but not logging enough miles gets you nowhere fast. Right now, in addition to taking a ridiculous amount of supplements, my focus is on making sure I get enough protein. Carbs are a non-issue, considering how much and how easily I seem to consume them. I'm keeping a watchful eye on that while upping my protein and trying to see if I notice a difference on the road and on the scale. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I can do the weight loss thing, albeit inappropriately, and I can do the training thing, albeit eating like a fiend. I just can't seem to get the two to work together.

Yeah, I know that the theme is usually three things for a Tuesday or Thursday, but I couldn't come up with a third that I wanted to post here and the word two pairs well with Tuesday. So there.

4 comments:

  1. Try dressing for the track the night before so you can roll out and go. And cut the negative self talk girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above. You must be kind to yourself - good things happen when you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely not capable of rational thought at 5:30 am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALLY hard to lose weight while training, because it does all the things you mention plus it screws with your HR/effort/RPE. ugh. I've decided to just stay chubby.

    ReplyDelete