Tuesday, September 6, 2011

track tuesdays

Today's lesson:  you can't cry and run at the same time.  I chose to run.  One mile warm up, 3x1600m repeats at 8:37, 8:25, and 8:17. 800m recovery in between.  Total miles: 5.5.  Total tears: 0.  I wasn't thrilled with my splits, I have done better before, but I'll take it.  Any time spent on the track instead of in bed is a victory in my book, especially given the weather today.  Hopefully I'll dry off by lunchtime.  The only real flaw I saw in today's workout was finishing and feeling like I still had some left in the tank. Coach said we were done at three but I could have done a fourth repeat if need be, which tells me I wasn't pushing hard enough on the first three.  This is, unfortunately, a common theme in my workouts.  I never push to the point of pain or discomfort so I never find out what I'm truly capable of.  This is never more clear than when I'm at the track with CAR because they are such an incredibly talented group of runners.  I almost don't mind being constantly lapped by them.  Almost. At least they always tell you "good job" while they do it :)

Despite it being a four day work week week, it will be a busy one.  Track and work today, work and a running date tomorrow night, work, run, and class Thursday, then work and a family invasion on Friday night.  Somewhere in that mix I hope to hear some good news related to my job search. Right now I'm riding on the high hopes of others that this will turn out the way that I want it to. The VHTRC Women's Half Marathon is this coming weekend, so I need to make sure I am rested enough for that while still logging at least 25 miles to keep up with MCM training.  I can't believe that there are only 53 days left before the race.  I suppose my main concern is just that my motivation for training has been flagging lately due to demands in other areas of my life and the timing for this hiccup is less than ideal. I'm hoping that the runs I have planned this week will help me refocus and rediscover the excitement I had for running 26.2.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend.  I've been MIA from reading everyone else's blogs recently but I'll be catching up today, I promise.  Let me know what your week looks like in comments, as well as something fun you're looking forward to this month!  Oh, and any last minute advice for trail racing is welcome!  This is my fourth 1/2 but my first trail race so I'm a little unsure what to expect from the course. Vanessa, I know you rocked it on your first trail half, I might have to read your race report again!

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the mile repeats girl. 1 mile repeats are the hardest for me. I can't believe your race is so soon. Yay!!

    I am looking forward to Napa Valley Ragnar nest week. yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job getting out there girl! So excited for your upcoming race. Hope you do awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I have lots of friends who have run that half and love it, enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Any workout is better than bed! Haha! Mile repeats suck, plain and simple. But they make you strong.
    Good luck with the race and on the job front!

    ReplyDelete